Dedicated to Oswald of Northumbria, an Anglo-Saxon saint the church has Saxon origins, was rebuilt in the 15th century and restored and enlarged from 1840 to 1841. The tower was built in the 16th century and its clock was installed in 1891.
Parish Church. C15 with Anglo-Saxon remains, chancel c1840, restored 1840-41. Well- coursed rubble to pre-Conquest work, large dressed stone to tower, hammer-dressed stone to C19 work, stone slate roof with clay tiles on chancel. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel and north chancel chapel. Perpendicular tower, Early English lancet style restoration. Tower: 2 stages, chamfered plinth, moulded band. 3-light west window with arched lights and panel tracery, above is limestone block with shield in relief; moulded band; 2-light belfry windows set in square double-chamfered surrounds have arched lights with sunken spandrels south face has clock-face above small chamfered light. Embattled parapet with projecting rainwater chutes with gargoyles; crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave: red-sandstone quoins mark extent of original nave now of 3 bays articulated by offset buttress. South wall Anglo-Saxon. Gabled porch in 1st bay, lancet windows, corbel table. Coped gables with kneelers; apex cross. North aisle: 2-light windows with cusped lights, 2 with square heads, one with arched head with hoodmould. Right-hand return of aisle (east face) has 2-light window with shafted mullion and quatrefoil above at junction with canted stair-turret which has shouldered doorway and 2 small lancets in west face. Chancel: 2 bays articulated by offset buttresses. Lancet windows. Angle buttresses to east end which has triple lancet window. 2-light window to chapel.